Iglesia de San Luis Bertrán (l'Ermita)
A 17th-century church built on the spot where San Luis Bertrán preached, with an eclectic façade and a hexagonal bell tower completed in 1829. Torrent locals still simply call it "l'Ermita".
In 1580 the Dominican friar San Luis Bertrán lived in Torrent for a while, where he preached and to whom local tradition attributes several miracles. In his memory, the municipal Consell decided on 12 September 1634 to build a chapel on the site; over time it became today's parish church, though locals still customarily call it «l'Ermita».
What to see
The current building has an eclectic-style façade and a distinctive hexagonal bell tower, finished in 1829. The interior has a rectangular floor plan, around 21 by 18 metres, with four side chapels opening onto semicircular arches. During the Civil War the building was used as a food market and a public wash-house was set up in the courtyard — a very different use from today's, and also part of its history.
It's a working place of worship, so a visit should respect service times; it's best to avoid Mass hours if the aim is just to see the interior at leisure. It's a short walk from Torrent's historic centre, on the same route as the rest of the old town.
Comments
Sign in with Google to comment and rate
Be the first to comment.